Saturday, March 16, 2019

On the Wing of Discovery


Bateleur Eagle: $75.00
There is always something to be discovered. Sometimes, I go looking for it. Sometimes, discovery finds me in the most unexpected places, like on the side of a long dusty road in the middle of Idaho. I was driving on a seemingly endless road trip on my way home from school. The land around me was a trackless expanse of brown nothingness. That is Idaho for you. "The Peregrine Fund" jumped off a passing road sign and slapped me awake. Peregrine Fund! That sounded interesting. Without hesitating I pulled onto the road indicating the start of my next adventure.

The Peregrine Fund is an education center all about birds of prey. I remember walking in the doors, my jaw dropping in amazement. I saw displays on the history of falconers, raptor conservation, Harpy Eagles and every other imaginable bird of prey.  I heard there was to be a show with live birds of prey but until then I wondered out to see the birds on display. Among the usual collection of raptors, I found an unusual face. The name Bateleur Eagle was printed beneath this new bird. Hmm. I wasn't even sure how to pronounce Bateleur Eagle.

As I watched, his calm orange face changed to a bright red. He ruffled his feathers and  gave me an intimidating glare. He was gorgeous! Now that I had met him I had to learn more. Bateleur Eagles are native to Africa. They have the shortest tails and narrowest wings relative to their body size. And finally, Bateleur Eagles are in trouble. When farmers loose their livestock to predators, they often poison the carcasses to kill the culprit. Unfortunately, Bateleur Eagles along with other scavengers become the unintended victims.  Clearly these birds need our help. The Peregrine Fund scientists are working to protect this species. I want to help. I will be donating 40% of the money from the sale of this piece to The Peregrine Fund to help the Bateler Eagle. I hope you want to help too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stand Tall

Adelie Penguin ~ Angelwings WCN Fall 2019 Collection There are 18 species of penguins living in Antarctica. Of these species, the Adeli...