Friday, December 28, 2018

Fantastic Beasts We Found Them

My niffler rolls
Hufflepuff wins the housecup! I hope you read that phrase in Dumbledore's voice because for all the Hufflepuffs (me included) that's just one phrase we never got to hear on our cinematic journey with Harry Potter. That's OK because I was always rooting for Harry, Ron, and Hermione anyway. But this was a phrase we got to celebrate at the end of the Wonderful Weekend of Wizardry in Tacoma, Washington. My little sister and I had such a joyous time. While she didn't quite have the same sense of accomplishment as I felt over winning the house cup (she is a Ravenclaw) we decided it was a worthy cause to celebrate. And how better to celebrate than making a Hogwarts feast or at least a few Hogwarts treats! But my skills in treat making are somewhat lacking so I decided I would settle for making some adorable niffler rolls from my famous (famous at least among my family) 100% whole wheat bread.

100% whole wheat dough
The recipe for my 100% wheat bread goes as follows (but really you can make niffler rolls from most any yeast bread).
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup orange juice (that's the secret ingredient)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp or 1 package of active dry yeast dissolved in 2 T of water
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients. Let dough rest 20-30 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly greased surface and knead until smooth. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. From here we have to diverge a little from the original recipe. 

Tinfoil baby seats
The next step is to make little tinfoil baby seats for your nifflers, that way they hold their position while you bake em'.
Nifflers in their tinfoil baby seats
After your dough has had a chance to rise pull it into little balls with arms and legs. I form the heads separately and add them last.

A little army of nifflers in tinfoil baby seats
Keep going until you use all your dough. Pretty soon you will have an army of nifflers in tinfoil baby seats. Let the nifflers rise for another hour and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 20 minutes and tent with foil. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes without foil tent. Remove nifflers from their chairs and bake with their backsides up an additional 5-10 minutes. 

All the nifflers out of the oven and ready for eating
My nifflers were so good there were hardly any left over. They were perfect for a Hufflepuff celebration, or any celebration in my opinion.

So good there were hardly any left over


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stand Tall

Adelie Penguin ~ Angelwings WCN Fall 2019 Collection There are 18 species of penguins living in Antarctica. Of these species, the Adeli...