Saturday, December 22, 2018

90's Soda Cups?

90's Soda Skirt
This skirt was a fun one to make. It has an elastic waistband, and is full length with "twirlable" fabric. These were all the requirements my latest costumer (my little sister) requested for her new skirt. I think I met, and perhaps even exceeded, expectations. But there was something about this skirt that seemed... oh... familiar. I couldn't quite figure out what it was. For some reason the skirt fabric made me think of trips to the merry-go-round with Granny and blue ice cream. I remember telling Granny that you are never to old to ride a merry-go-round. She must have believed me because she always rode with me.

In a foggier more distant memory, this skirt brings to mind shopping with Mom in the mall - the mall that had the fish sculptures overhead. And another memory is there too; a memory of camping. At first I could't think what this random string of memories had in common.  Then I had it! The colors and print on the fabric resemble that of a 90's Soda cup. You know the one with the turquoise and purple design?

Of course Granny always had something to drink at the merry-go-round. People at the mall must have walked around with those cups. And no camping trip was complete without them.

Well I'm the curious type and I wondered where these iconic little guys came from. Did you know Gina Ekiss was the original designer? Long ago she worked for the Sweetheart Cup Company. Later, Solo bought the company so don't feel bad if you've never heard of the Sweetheart Cup Company. Gina actually created the design for a contest within her company.

It's really quite cool that her design is still around. What an amazing piece of art! Gina Ekiss named the design Jazz. Every piece of art has to have a name. That's why I decided to name my new skirt after this timeless design. Please welcome the 90's Soda Skirt to my sewing collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stand Tall

Adelie Penguin ~ Angelwings WCN Fall 2019 Collection There are 18 species of penguins living in Antarctica. Of these species, the Adeli...