Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Oranges and Thundereggs

"If you pick an orange on the premise that it is cute, 
you are dealing with the appealing and not considering the fruit.
Now a peel is just a pretense, just a cover-up, a lure,
to entice your very senses, but you never can be sure. 
For a thousand are attracted and excited by the skin
but... it's the deeper stuff that matters,
it's what's offered from within"

Orca ~ Thunderegg
This is one of my favorite poems. It fits nicely with oranges but its even more appropriate for thundereggs. On the outside, thundereggs look like mud balls. Most are about the size of an orange. On the inside, thundereggs come in a striking variety of agate. Cracking them open is like opening a Christmas present. I love going rock hounding for thundereggs for this very reason.

On my very first rock hounding trip, my grandpa took me to Prineville, Oregon. While there, we searched for angelwings, petrified wood, and... thundereggs! This is one of the eggs I dug out of the side of a wall with my handy dandy pick ax. This rock was begging for a seascape and Orca ~ Thunderegg is my finished product.

No matter how ugly the outside, every single thunderegg was beautiful and unique on the inside. Some had red, others yellow, and some just gray. Just as you never know what is inside an orange, or a thunderegg,  you never know what kind of beauty you will find inside the people you meet every day.

My mom decided she cannot part with Orca ~ Thunderegg but it is featured in my Calendar. I have other eggs from my Prinevill trip so you can expect to see some more of those coming up soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stand Tall

Adelie Penguin ~ Angelwings WCN Fall 2019 Collection There are 18 species of penguins living in Antarctica. Of these species, the Adeli...