Saturday, September 28, 2019

Be Dazzled

Zebra Pair ~ Petrified Wood
WCN Fall 2019 Collection
Did you know a group of zebras is sometimes called a dazzle? It is true, a group of zebras crossing the African savanna or even lounging in the shade of an acacia tree is quite dazzling - believe me.
I remember, stepping out into the hot Johannesburg  sunlight after my mad sprint across the airport to catch my last plane to Namibia. The heat was absolutely oppressive and I was shocked. I remember riding in the taxi van out the the Cheetah Conservation Center and being thankful for the air conditioning. But better than any air conditioning was the scenery. The very first African wildlife I saw was a baboon. I certainly was dazzled even though my traveling companions assure me baboons would be one of the more common wildlife sightings. I remember sitting in my first intern meeting just grinning ear to ear.
The presenter looked at me and asked rather gruffly, "why are you smiling?"
All I could think to say was, "because I'm happy." It was true. I was happy.
I remember my first safari. I gazed around wide eyed trying to absorb every detail to be stored in my memory for a time when I needed some joy.
My safari guide turned to me and said, "Is this your first time in Africa." It was a statement not a question. He could tell from my enthusiasm. But even after all the firsts became seconds I continued to wonder in awe. Every day I was like a child, always smiling, always exploring, permanently dazzled.
I wonder when was the last time you were truly dazzled? Today find something to smile about and allow yourself to be dazzled, to love and live in the moment, to be a child and find your enthusiasm once more. Today go create a memory that will always remind you of the joys of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stand Tall

Adelie Penguin ~ Angelwings WCN Fall 2019 Collection There are 18 species of penguins living in Antarctica. Of these species, the Adeli...